The above picture shows Fratton from the air. In the centre of the picture you can see the Pompey Centre.
From just below the train sheds by the white roofed building the Southsea Railway used to branch off from the railway line and run along among the houses leaving the above picture near the right hand side of the picture. The Southsea Railway operated for 29 years on a one and a quarter mile track between Fratton Station and its terminus at Southsea. The Southsea Railway terminus is now housing.
On 25th March 1884 her Serene Highness Princess Edward of Saxe-Weimer cut the first sod at Southsea. The track and grandiose terminus were completed within one year. The station was of Queen Anne style and had three platforms each 360ft long. On 1st July 1885 Lady Willis performed the opening ceremony after having travelled from London by train.
The line used self-propelled single coaches which were 56ft long and incorporated a small steam engine. The coaches gave passengers a bumpy ride which was due to their small wheels. In order to attract more customers the company built halts at Highland Road and Jessie Road. In July 1914 as the threat of war loomed extra sidings were needed at Fratton to deal with the traffic so the Southsea Railway was closed and used as overflow sidings. The line was closed to passengers on 6th August 1914, never to reopen. In 1923 the line was torn up and the bridges were demolished.
The Granada Road terminus was used as a munitions store during the war and after the war was taken over by a garage business.
The above picture is of the remains of the Southsea Railway Terminus in Granada Road. It is in the process of being demolished to make room for housing. In 1904 as economy measures the main station buildings were leased out and were used by motor engineers for many years. A small covered platform for the rail-motor service was erected. The terminus became known as East Southsea in 1896. The services ran every 20 minutes either way along the line. Now there is no sign of the grand Southsea Terminus only where some of the route ran.
Non Flash Version